If time flies when you’re having fun, it hits the afterburners when you don’t think you have enough – Jef Mallett
We all come from different industries, with different procedures and have different working styles. One thing that we should all have in common, however, is a commitment to good time management.
A basic appreciation for time management can improve our lives in many ways from decreased stress to having more in your day for the important things in life!
Here are my top 8 time management tips:
- Set yourself goals: Keeping in mind the deadline for the tasks at hand, set yourself goals but keep them realistic!
- Use a to-do-list: Prepare a list of items that need to be done, prioritize them and then plan your day accordingly.
- Identify your productive hours: What hours of the day do you have the least distractions and are more able to fully focus on work?
- One thing at a time: Increase your productivity by concentrating on one specific task at a time.
- Keep distractions to a minimum: Whilst you may not be able to eliminate distractions completely, try to keep them to a minimum (take the phone off the hook, close your email, lock your office door, etc.)
- Recognise if you need help: There may be times when you are on a tight deadline or you cannot physically complete the set task on your own. Recognise the instances when you need a little extra support, and outsource or delegate when the need arises.
- Get it right the first time: It is much more efficient to do the job properly the first time, rather than risk having to do it all again.
- Start now! Don’t procrastinate and put off until tomorrow what you could start today.