We’ve all had it happen to us; you receive your monthly invoices in the mail and you’re shocked and dismayed that your bill is so high. You think to yourself, “What happened? How could I have possibly used that much?”
Well, there a couple of ways to combat this problem when working with a Virtual Assistant and here I give you a few options to keep better control over the time you spend using a VA so as to avoid any nasty surprises come invoice time:
- Make sure you know what you want and communicate this clearly to your VA to eliminate any misunderstandings. There’s nothing more time consuming that constantly having to go back-and-forth over a document and make a mountain of amendments because the intent wasn’t understood by all parties.
- Set a budget and make sure you communicate what this is so that there are no nasty surprises come invoice time. There are a few ways that you can do this:
- Set a time limit for each task: This works well if your tasks are large project-type tasks, however could be hard to manage – not to mention tedious – if you have many small, day-to-day type tasks
- Set a weekly budget: Define how many hours you can afford to spend on your VA each week. Your VA will let you know once you are nearing the budget limit and you then have the choice to scale back the work you give her for the rest of the week, or raise your budget.
- Set a monthly budget: This works similar to the weekly budget, however if you spend all your budget in the first half of the month, you could find yourself with no support for the last weeks of the month – not exactly an ideal situation!
- Monitor time closely through frequent reporting: Negotiate a reporting timeframe with your VA (whether this be daily, weekly or fortnightly) whereby you are given a report at your nominated frequency on the number of hours used, thus keeping you constantly aware of what you are using and avoiding a shock at the end of the month.
Keep in mind that your VA is a professional business owner and will be more than happy to help you manage your budget the best way that works for you.