So we’ve all heard about the impact of climate change, had to become more water conscious and had household recycling drummed into us – and that’s great, in today’s world it is a must for everyone to do their part to save our environment. But why stop there?
Have you thought about the practices that you could put in place in your office, or place of business, to reduce, reuse and recycle?
If you have then great! But if not, I have compiled a list of the top 15 ways that you can make a positive contribution to the environment and save a little money along the way!
- Purchase recycled or environmentally friendly office products;
- Say NO to plastic bags in favour of reusable bags;
- Recycle your printer and photocopier toner cartridges;
- Recycle your old mobile phones (see www.mobilemuster.com.au for a list of drop off points in your area);
- Use scrap paper for notes instead of throwing it in the bin;
- Set your printer to print double-sided;
- Before you hit the ‘print’ button, think about whether you really need a hard copy of the document;
- Make sure you have access to paper, cardboard and co-mingled recycling services and recycle EVERYTHING possible;
- Turn off computers and lighting when not in use;
- Activate sleep mode on your computer to switch off the screen after 10 minutes;
- Switch off all office equipment when leaving the office at night;
- If taking your own lunch to work, use resuable plastic containers instead of cling wrap or throwaway plastic bags;
- Stop using Styrofoam or paper cups for your coffee! Either make your own coffee, using your own mug, or purchase a travelling mug and take it to your favourite takeaway coffee shop with you;
- Purchase rechargeable batteries;
- Use rewritable CDs or, even better, purchase a flashdrive for storing your files.
Now this list is by no means an exhaustive list , but it’s a good place to start! Do you have any other suggestions for ways that we can reduce, reuse and recycle in the office? Why not drop me a line at email@example.com and I’ll be sure to include an update for our readers!